Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Remind Her, Beauty is Her Name


“I am enamored by your beauty
the flawlessness of your face
the way it’s structured
your strong jawbones
they speak perfection
your smile… it keeps me captivated
your eyes don’t hide, but they shine
you have captured Me. I am enamored.” – The Creator
I can remember sitting on the floor in my room. Scissors, magazines, glue sticks, and pens surrounded me. I was getting ready to put what was in my heart on paper. Excited and a tiny bit nervous, I was beginning to dream with God for the year 2015. As I began to cut out of the magazines pictures and words that stood out to me, the desire to model began to swell up in heart like a strong wave current that couldn’t be controlled. So, I went with it and put it on paper.


March 2015 is when it all began. A dream that has been placed in my heart by my Creator had started to become a reality. I met up with a friend in Los Angeles to hang out and he, unexpectedly, brought his camera to do a shoot that I was completely “unprepared” for.
Now let’s be real… anyone who knows me, know that I LOVE taking pictures, capturing moments and most of all I LOVE TAKING SELFIES. I just can’t help it or rather I choose not to help it. Ha! But being in front of a Canon or Nikon, instead of an iPhone, began to challenge me to embrace ME even more.
I have been on this journey of self-love since 2011. It started with cutting off my relaxed, straightened hair in order to fall in love with my natural, kinky, tightly coiled, God-given hair. Then transitioned to locing up my hair (dreadlocs); not conforming to the world’s ideal standard of beauty and loving what I look like through every stage of my loc journey. Now I am in front of some Canon or Nikon camera and through every shot produced I am gently being nudged to look at myself, to love my dark skin, to love every part of my body that I consider to be imperfection or perfection. Through every shot that the camera has been taking, my Creator has been whispering, “Beauty is your name. I am captivated. I am enamored by you. Do you not see?”   
I can remember at some of my shoots telling the photographer, “I hope you got some good shots”, in doubt that I was not being or looking like models that are shown through different media mediums. When my new photographer friend posted a picture of me on his Instagram from our recent shoot, I gasped and my mouth dropped. I couldn’t believe it. I could not believe that was ME! I kept staring at the picture. I was at lost for words. So I just kept staring… and staring. I was in complete awe. Once again my Creator sweetly whispered, “You now have a taste of what I see every day when I look at you. Beauty. Beauty is your name.”
As I have been traveling these last 2 ½ months I have been in constant reminder that Beauty is my name. Beauty is my journey. Through every success, mess-up, & failure Beauty is still my name. All my days Beauty has been my name.
Hello. My name is Beauty. What is your name?   
“I am enamored by my beauty.
dark skin and kinkiest of hair…
confidence has taken over my being
all of me is perfection
what’s happening? I am falling in love with myself” –Beauty
SIGNED,
Beauty (The fearless one)
Peace&Love <3
Instagram: __awakenedblackqueen
Facebook: Kamilah Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment